We are TwoLuLa! Welcome to our journey of creative discovery!




Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Pieceful Time

    About  two weeks ago my 20 year old daughter, we'll call her Little Miss E,  bought a dress for a dance.  True to her nature, she bought the dress on Thursday for a dance on Friday.  No problem there except that the dress had a hole in it just above the hem. It was a short, form-fitting black dress made out of some sort of very stretchy black fabric - the kind that looks fantastic on her tall, slender figure but would make me look like a tremendously lumpy, overstuffed sack of potatoes. If, that is, I could even get it over one of my thighs.  Knowing my limited sewing abilities with this type of fabric, Little Miss E did the smart thing and called her Aunt Carol.
    Carol came over Friday afternoon equipped with her sewing machine and whatever supplies she thought may be in order.  We examined the dress ("Are you sure this isn't a shirt?" Carol asked) and decided our best bet was to cut off the bottom and re-hem.  Carol tried hemming it on the machine, but we soon decided that hand sewing was the way to go.  All in all, the dress came out pretty good.  I never got to see it on my daughter because she got ready at a friend's house. I'll have to ask her to show Carol and I a photo.

   After watching Carol on her sewing machine, I couldn't resist the urge to do a little sewing for myself.    So last week I took out some fabric and started playing around with some quilt piecing.



I made four half square triangles.  It really is astounding how many patterns you can make with something so simple.  Here are a few:









In the end I decided to make a star of sorts.  I plan to make more in different colors, but all on the same white background, and create a small quilt for the table top.  No additional progress yet.

Cynthia



No comments:

Post a Comment